Amsterdam Coffeeshop Directory

MenuAmsterdam MapDirectorySite Index
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:35 am 

I remember a theehuis near waterlooplein....didn't realise that it was the first MY... They had big blackboards behind the counter, one with a list of Teas and the other with a list of weed. I was very impressed.
Mostly you bought from a dealer in your neighbourhood or in a bar with a dealer. There was one in a café called Karl Appel in Dam straat and also The Flying Dutchman near central.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:58 am 

winnie wrote:
I remember a theehuis near waterlooplein....didn't realise that it was the first MY... They had big blackboards behind the counter, one with a list of Teas and the other with a list of weed. I was very impressed.
Mostly you bought from a dealer in your neighbourhood or in a bar with a dealer. There was one in a café called Karl Appel in Dam straat and also The Flying Dutchman near central.

High winnie thanks for the input.The theehuis you mention near waterlooplein wasnt the Mellow Yellow afaik, as it was on the Amstel.
it would be off the bottom right of the map page. Allso it burned down in 1978!!
I think Old timer might be mistaking scoring in cafes and bars with a proper coffeeshop.
I was told in the Rusland 1981 that the only other coffeeshop he knew of was the bulldog but as it was a gray area maybe a shop had opened and he
hadn't heard about yet. The flying dutchman is still open near the station and is a smoker friendly bar with a smoking room and is worth a try.
When was the theehuis you mention open?? any idea. Allso do you remember the Magic Inn just down from flying duchman??
All the best
bedge

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:51 pm 

my theehuis was in 79 or 80... it's all a bit hazy :D
There was a bar called The Three Muskateers next door to TFD and across the road was an Irish/English pub of all things with Tricolours and portraits of Queen Elizabeth hanging side by side and nobody gave a shit. I can't remember the name of that one but I don't think you could smoke in there. Major smoking was done in The Frog nearby

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:50 am 

winnie wrote:
There was a bar called The Three Muskateers next door to TFD and across the road was an Irish/English pub of all things with Tricolours and portraits of Queen Elizabeth hanging side by side and nobody gave a shit. I can't remember the name of that one but I don't think you could smoke in there. Major smoking was done in The Frog nearby

High winnie thanks for your input.i cant work out what TFD means??
Can i ask you when you first saw menus (for weed/hash) in coffeeshops??
afaik they weren't used early on as it could be proof of supplying!
Allso was the weed/hash sold from a bag/case or similar ??
The ones i remember all used them back then so it could be moved out fast if need be.
The limit was 30grams for shops and individuals back then.
(the siberie was still using a bag until about 1997)
Thanks again winnie
best wishes all
bedge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 pm 

high times said in their ccup manual last year that Mellow Yellow was officially tolerated since 1972.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:24 pm 

Here is a stab from the deep past for you.

http://t-boat.coffeeshopsamsterdam.com/home.html

The menu bar at the top of the page works. The one you may be interested in is History.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:24 pm 

bedge wrote:
winnie wrote:

High winnie thanks for your input.i cant work out what TFD means??
Can i ask you when you first saw menus (for weed/hash) in coffeeshops??
afaik they weren't used early on as it could be proof of supplying!
Allso was the weed/hash sold from a bag/case or similar ??
The ones i remember all used them back then so it could be moved out fast if need be.
The limit was 30grams for shops and individuals back then.
(the siberie was still using a bag until about 1997)
Thanks again winnie
best wishes all
bedge

TFD = The Flying Dutchman. I don't know about the menus, I left Amster in '81 to try to be a square peg in a round hole for a good few years so I missed out on the development of the coffee shops.
The dealer in one establishment, carried the hash in a tobacco tin in his ass pocket...that's how he was identified. The dealer had the tin.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:06 am 

I've got an old copy of Home Grown magazine Vol 1, no 7, (from the start of 1980) where there is an interview with Martin from Coffeeshop Rusland, where he states that the Rusland had been open for three and a half years at that point, and that the coffeeshop scene had began about six years earlier with the opening of Mellow Yellow. He mentions in the interview that the original Mellow Yellow had burnt down a few years earlier. He also states that at that time (either January or February 1980) there were about 20 coffeeshops in Amsterdam in total. There's also a reference to Rusland in an earlier reader's letter to Home Grown Vol 1, no 2 (dated 1978), where the writer, Chan the Man, mentions that in the streets leading off Dam square there were a 'large number of cafes' and that 'most of the cafes had their own resident dealer who'll sell a large variety of hash'.

For your further info Chan the Man's letter states that the Dutch police could fine you the equivalent of £1.50 for possession of 30g or less (payeable at the nearest police station) and could confiscate your stash. However, there was little evidence that the police hassled anyone for possession at that time. The Rusland apparently got busted about 15 times during the late 1970s but the house dealer never had more than an ounce, so he just got stuck in a cell for a few hours until released. The shop then simply re-opened the next day with another dealer in residence. The owner, Martin, never got busted himself, because at that time there was no conspiracy laws, so only the person holding the stash got fined. So after a dozen busts or so the police simply gave up because they were wasting their time. Rusland back then generally sold 3 or 4 hashes, 1 grass and space cake. I seem to recall in one advert they advertised they were selling space pancake as well.

Unfortunately neither copies mention any other names of coffeeshops, but their comments do give an indication (admittedly vague in the case of Chan the Man) that the scene expanded somewhat between 1976 and 1980.

Home Grown magazine ran a hand drawn advert for Coffeshop Rusland several times while it was running, advertising 40 teas, expresso coffee, juices, various foods and soft drinks. One advert they ran had a street map with it, which I cut out and took with me the first time I went to Amsterdam. I'd scan the advert so people can see but my scanner's currently buggered!

I know this adds little in terms of other coffeeshop names, but I thought some people might be interested in guaging how the scene has changed somewhat since back then. When I went in the early to mid-1980's there were several coffeeshops that sold booze as well as dope, including the Hard Rock Cafe. It was the only Hard Rock cafe in the world that sold cannabis of course. You used to be able to score some dope, sit and have a beer and smoke yourself silly.

Those were the days!

I was in the Woodstock bar in Freetown Christiana a couple of months back, and it had a very similar feel to Amsterdam circa. early 1980s. The Amsterdam coffeeshop scene's a lot more sanitised now then it used to be. It used to be a bit wilder back then, and better for it IMHO. The weed's a lot better now of course, but the hash seemed better back then.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:25 pm 

That's info.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:23 pm 

Shaggy wrote:
I've got an old copy of Home Grown magazine Vol 1, no 7, (from the start of 1980) where there is an interview with Martin from Coffeeshop Rusland, where he states that the Rusland had been open for three and a half years at that point, and that the coffeeshop scene had began about six years earlier with the opening of Mellow Yellow. He mentions in the interview that the original Mellow Yellow had burnt down a few years earlier. He also states that at that time (either January or February 1980) there were about 20 coffeeshops in Amsterdam in total. There's also a reference to Rusland in an earlier reader's letter to Home Grown Vol 1, no 2 (dated 1978), where the writer, Chan the Man, mentions that in the streets leading off Dam square there were a 'large number of cafes' and that 'most of the cafes had their own resident dealer who'll sell a large variety of hash'.

For your further info Chan the Man's letter states that the Dutch police could fine you the equivalent of £1.50 for possession of 30g or less (payeable at the nearest police station) and could confiscate your stash. However, there was little evidence that the police hassled anyone for possession at that time. The Rusland apparently got busted about 15 times during the late 1970s but the house dealer never had more than an ounce, so he just got stuck in a cell for a few hours until released. The shop then simply re-opened the next day with another dealer in residence. The owner, Martin, never got busted himself, because at that time there was no conspiracy laws, so only the person holding the stash got fined. So after a dozen busts or so the police simply gave up because they were wasting their time. Rusland back then generally sold 3 or 4 hashes, 1 grass and space cake. I seem to recall in one advert they advertised they were selling space pancake as well.

Unfortunately neither copies mention any other names of coffeeshops, but their comments do give an indication (admittedly vague in the case of Chan the Man) that the scene expanded somewhat between 1976 and 1980.

Home Grown magazine ran a hand drawn advert for Coffeshop Rusland several times while it was running, advertising 40 teas, expresso coffee, juices, various foods and soft drinks. One advert they ran had a street map with it, which I cut out and took with me the first time I went to Amsterdam. I'd scan the advert so people can see but my scanner's currently buggered!

I know this adds little in terms of other coffeeshop names, but I thought some people might be interested in guaging how the scene has changed somewhat since back then. When I went in the early to mid-1980's there were several coffeeshops that sold booze as well as dope, including the Hard Rock Cafe. It was the only Hard Rock cafe in the world that sold cannabis of course. You used to be able to score some dope, sit and have a beer and smoke yourself silly.

Those were the days!

I was in the Woodstock bar in Freetown Christiana a couple of months back, and it had a very similar feel to Amsterdam circa. early 1980s. The Amsterdam coffeeshop scene's a lot more sanitised now then it used to be. It used to be a bit wilder back then, and better for it IMHO. The weed's a lot better now of course, but the hash seemed better back then.

High Shaggy great bit of info!! The Martin you mentioned would be Maarten Brussesler who now lives in thailand. it would be great if you could scan the add ect at some time if possible.
Intersting to hear you went to freetown christiana! What were the prices of hash/weed over there??I have heard the exchange rate makes it quite expensive!?
nice one shaggy
best wishes all
bedge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:34 pm 

FlyByNite wrote:
Here is a stab from the deep past for you.

http://t-boat.coffeeshopsamsterdam.com/home.html

The menu bar at the top of the page works. The one you may be interested in is History.

Enjoy
FlyByNite

High i remember the T-boat in 2000/2001 and seeing it in the chech and chong movie.
If it was open before 1972 it should be one the first coffeeshops!!
thanks for the input FlyByNite
Bedge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:49 pm 

I know your asking about Amsterdam specifically, but Sarasani in Utrecht had been going since 1968 pre-dating a lot of the "first coffeeshops" in Amsterdam, although it was more of a concert venue / youth club then (but a place you could freely buy).

Ownership remained in the family so they would probably have been a great source of info, but sadly its no more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:49 am 
Site Admin

Great thread Bedge 8)

As I understand it, Bulldog No 90 calls itself the first because it was more overt than its predecessors. It was the first commercial coffeeshop and model for all that followed. That was 1975 but there was definitely an embryonic coffeeshop scene for a few years before that.

I first visited in spring 88 and again in summer 89. By that time there were hundreds of coffeeshops, far more than now. In 88 we had no idea what we were doing. We'd been given directions to Bulldog by someone in UK and, later, to Ballonnetje by a local. By 89 I had a copy of Mellow Pages and had begun a quest to visit as many coffeeshops as possible. Ten years later I started the ACD.

I love the idea of compiling a list of coffeeshop numbers. Maybe there's already a list out there. If anyone knows of one, please let me know. If not, maybe we could compile one between us. If the numbers also tell a story that would be fantastic. Although the licences were only issued in 95, I guess it's possible that the numbers were based on some earlier register.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:02 pm 

For what it's worth , these CS's (& any opening dates)are included in the 1985 version of Mellow Pages ,

Bertoni , Beukenweg 11 , closed
Bluebird, Sint Antoniebreestraat 71, still there
Boedha's 85 Paradise (1st opened 1980), Nieuwmarkt 12, currently Rock It
Bon Ami , Brouwersgracht 137 (1st opened august 1985), currently CS 137
Catch 33(1st opened January 1984), Nassaukade 33 , still there
Centurion (1st opened 17 november 1984) ,Ce(i)ntuurbaan 206 , closed
Chai Shop , Albert Cuypstraat 17, closed
Cornelia , opposite Keizersgracht 25, this was a boat
Dutch Delight , Kolksteeg 10 , currently CS Ben
Eilandje, Grote Bickerstraat 32, think it's closed
Fairy Nuff , 2e Laurierwarsstraat 13 , closed
Fancy Free , Haarlemmerstraat 64, currently Greenhouse Lounge
Five Eight Five (1st opened before august 1985 ), Herengracht 585, closed?
Free City , Marnixstraat 233, closed
Free One(1st opened 4th April 1985) , Reguliersdwarsstraat 70 , currently Free I
Future (1st opened November 1984), Prins Hendrikkade 102, closed
Good Buy/Bye (1st opened spring 1983), Dusartstraat 14 , currently CS Today
Happy Feelings , Amstelkade 67, closed?
Haussmann , Singel 458 , now a hotel
Het Ballonnetje , Roeterstraat 12
Hunters/Palm , OZ Voorbugwal 252 , currently Rick's Cafe?
Jabba , Achillesstraat 104
Jet Set (1st opened 20th January 1980), Bergstraat 13 , closed
Kif Kif (1st opened June 1982), Vechstraat 9 , currently Het Wolkje
Laurier , 1e Laurierdwarsstraat 33 , closed
Marilyn Monroe (1st opened January 1st 1985, Hazenstraat 19 , closed ( Biba is Hazenstraat 15 so this could be 1 and the same ,never know)
Number 1 , Rozengracht 1 , currently Black Star
Pie in the Sky , 2e Laurierdwarsstraat ( no number for this 1 , could be Flower Power , could just have closed)
Prix d'Ami-1(1st opened summer 1982), Reguliersdwarsstraat 29, currently Betty Too
Prix d'Ami-2, Haringpakkersteeg 3 , still there
Prix d'Ami-3, Nieuwendijk 239 , closed
The Reefer , van de Pekstraat 55 , closed
Rusland , Rusland 16 , still there
Screen (established 1980), Da Costastraat 68 , closed
Siberie(Siberia)(1st opened mid-August 1984), Brouwersgracht 11, still there
So Fine (1st opened October 1981), Prinsengracht 30, closed
Yo Yo , 2e jan van der Heijdenstraat, still there , book has the address as 2e Hemoniestraat
Zig Zag(1st opened 14th July 1984), Elandsgracht 53 , was Rokerij IV now of course closed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Nice work!

After reading this thread, late last night, I dug out my old copies of Mellow Pages. I think one of the copies I have is the same one you refer to. Great nostalgia trip. I also did a search on Google and found that Amazon are offering used copies of MP for $237.72!!

Incidentally, I think Jet Set is now Amnesia.

Prior to 1995 the scene was much more fluid. New shops were popping up all over the place. Many, it has to be said, were not very good. We've lost loads since then, mostly the dross but also, sadly, some good ones. Free City, Chai Shop, T-Boat and Lucky Mothers are a few that I miss. More recently there have been the Rokerijs, of course, and the wonderful Sanementereng, although it has been said that the latter may return at some point.